Ahem...
Back in July of 2017, the salesmen from Jon Paul bows came to the shop where I work. It was great to see these wonderful young men again. I always enjoy talking about bows with them, because they are enthusiastic about their product, and rightly so. Nerd sessions with them are great. When I asked them what was new, the guys were excited to show me their new Bandera bow, and I was equally excited to try it. This all wood stick is made from a unique Asian wood that makes a great step up from Brazil wood. It's not pernambuco, but it comes close. I've played my new Bandera extensively, making it my primary bow for a few months. For a bow that retails for well under $350, it's pretty great. In the words of my old teacher, it's "ridiculously good for the price."
So, what's up with this bow?
First of all, the fit and finish, like most Jon Paul bows is quite good. Crisp corners and smooth surfaces abound. The nut turns easily. The stick is also very well shaped and varnished. Looking at the slide underneath the frog, the margins aren't quite even. There is also a little ridge where the ferrule hits the frog. These little issues don't affect the playability of the bow. Jon Paul is probably using inexpensive mass-produced frogs (which have these issues) and mating them to the bows--that's expected for a bow of this price.
The grip is made of a peculiar kind of rubber. It feels OK, but I can't wait to wear mine out and replace it with leather. It's not a deal breaker, though.
One thing that I noticed was that the mortise in which the frog slides is properly squared out. The mortise I speak of is seen near the bottom end of the stick in the picture. These mortises are often cut using a rotary tool, and poor quality bows leave that mortise rounded at the ends. I'm glad to see that extra step taken, since it is an indicator of a better quality bow overall.
You might be asking how this bow plays. It plays quite well. The stick is rather firm and lively. The Bandera is different from my H.R. Pfretzschner, which is soft and feels big and luxurious. The Bandera is quite nimble and negotiates many different strokes well. It also plays the chords of Bach's Chaccone very nicely. I have put my Bandera through its paces, playing three and four note chords in many different dynamics. Even though the Bandera is not as graceful as a great Hill or Peccatte (which would set you back about 40 times what this one costs), the lively stick can provide a student a gateway into more advanced strokes such as spiccato and ricochet.
With the Bandera's firm and responsive stick, I can sustain beautiful lines very nicely. With the right touch, it draws beautiful tones very evenly and cleanly. It holds the player accountable for maintaining a delicate, relaxed touch!
The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't match my violin as well as other bows. My instrument responds very easily, and it likes a softer bow like my Pfretzschner. Even with the mismatch, I can feel the quality of the bow. Many students would be well served by the Bandera, which makes a great step up from the cheaper carbon and Brazil wood bows that come with many student outfits. Would I take this bow out for a solo gig on a major stage? Probably not. I use the Bandera as a workhorse bow to take the load off of my Pfretzschner when I can. For an advancing student, however, the Bandera will keep up and do everything that aspiring player will need.
If you're looking to upgrade your bow, the Jon Paul Bandera is well worth checking out!
I was not paid or compensated for this review, nor was I asked to do it. This post is all facts and my unbiased opinions. Please contact me if you have questions.

No comments:
Post a Comment